Friday, August 22, 2014

Asparagus, Peach and Quinoa Salad

SALAAAAD TIMMMME

I’ve been slack for a few months. I stopped going to gym, I stopped having salads every day, I ate carbs every few days (big deal orright)....and generally everything else one could possibly eat. I went full fattime all day every day. Loved it!
But no more! I’m taking control!

Ok....I will try to take control. It’s hard ya know. Baby steps.
So I’ll ease myself in with some fancy salads. I love me some fancy salad. Those ones that do take some pre-thought, and do require some time to prep and chop and cool and mix. But they’re totally worth it.

Especially when you’re at work and you really need something awesome to eat to get you through the afternoon. Yeah. That happens.
This one? Totally meets the criteria. Juicy peaches, crunchy asparagus, fluffy, filling quinoa – what’s not to love!?

Get on it. Pronto.


Salad:

1 1/2 cups quinoa
2 bunches asparagus, cut into chunks
2 peaches, diced
1/4 cup walnuts, toasted
Baby spinach
 

Dressing:

1tbspn lemon zest
6tbspn lemon juice
1/4 cup green onions, finely sliced
5tbspn olive oil
Rinse the quinoa and cook as per the packet directions. Set aside to cool (shove it in the fridge if you’re in a hurry)

While that’s cooking, make the dressing by putting all the ingredients into a jar and shaking it around the room. Feel free to wack on some funky music and make a thing out of it.

Cook the asparagus. You can either do this by coating them in a bit of oil and grilling them until slightly charred, or you can blanch them in some boiling water. Make sure they’re tender but still crunch. We need texture people.

When the quinoa has cooled, arrange the salad. You can be hectic like me and just mix everything in a big ol’ bowl, or you can be nice and pretty and arrange the spinach on a big serving plate (use as much as you desire), and sprinkle over the quinoa, asparagus, peaches and walnuts. Drizzle over the dressing and serve to your favourite people.

 

1 comment:

  1. Hehe I do love salads! I'm not sure though but I love crunch and fresh flavours. This one sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete